I finished Monster
and immediately had to access the Internet and the end of novel questions to
make sure that Steve was appropriately released from a prison sentence. I spent most of the novel pulling for the kid
who has done what we all did at one time or another, chosen to associate
himself with the wrong people at a horribly inopportune time. Throughout the story I kept telling myself
there was no way he could be convicted based on the evidence presented. As I began to process that in my
“rational”/“adult” brain I was immediately haunted by how the Young Adult
audience this book was intended for would interpret the story Steve was
telling.
First off, they would probably not be as familiar with the
ins and outs of the legal system the way that I am, not that I am an expert,
but I have read a lot of crime novels in my life time up to this point.
Secondly, it really is unclear exactly what has transpired for 80% of the
novel. Steve acts in an incredibly
guilty manner and seems fairly sure of his own guilt. One thing I remember about my adolescent
years was overwhelming guilt about the rules I had broken—no matter how minor
they were. Ultimately I think students
of all background will relate well to Steve’s plight. Jail is the most looming of all punishments
for bad behavior, and what Steve truly learns is that one mistake could cost
him his entire youth.
Monster is written
in a coming of age style, and it is very easy to follow visually. We have been working the past few weeks on
how to break down texts for students who may be struggling readers. Yesterday, Dylan showed us one that involved
drawing particular pieces or lines of text.
I think this novel would be an excellent opportunity for students to
visualize the unfolding action. Steve
uses descriptive detail and movie style blocking that could enable students to
process the scene more fully than complex literature. Additionally, it would be
a great opportunity to bring in some outside research on the legal system in an
applicable way for students.
Students between the ages of 11-18 have many life
experiences that are never documented in the literature they read. Monster
portrays one of them, but normalizes many more. Steve is neither a criminal nor a member of a
gang, instead he’s a high school aged student who wants to make movies, but who
is also a little desperate to find a place for himself. I think that’s the baseline desire of every
middle and high school student. They want
a comfortable place to express themselves, and if they cannot find a healthy
outlet—they will turn to any avenue to find acceptance. This goes back to my teaching philosophy. I
want my students to find that refuge in my classroom among the books. Steve’s film instructor clearly provides that
outlet for his students, and he supported Steve even after he was
arrested. Steve not only felt safe in
that environment, but it also provided him comfort when he could not be
physically present in it. By giving our
students the tools necessary to succeed in the often-scary environments outside
of school, we give them the opportunity to escape and to rise above their
circumstances regardless of what they may be.
No comments:
Post a Comment