Wednesday, September 16, 2015

English 323: Teaching The House on Mango Street

Immigration/Migrant Workers…How Do We Teach It?

Given the state that we live in i.e. Washington State, immigration conversations have the potential to be very touchy.  We have an interesting mix of conservative and liberal political viewpoints, but we are also home to a huge presence of migrant workers due to the concentration of agriculture.  Therefore, given the fact that I plan to teach in the agriculturally dense Eastern half of Washington, I would want to scaffold this type of discussion adequately before putting it on the table for class discussion. 

Initially, I would want to know exactly what the composition of my class was, and whether I had any students who had direct experience with immigration or seasonal work visas.  Rather than polling this an entirely intrusive way during large group discussion, I would offer the students a journal prompt asking them for their personal definitions of “immigrant” and “migrant worker” in order to assess their interaction with or understanding of the terms. I would personally review their writings and proceed with the lessons from there. 

I would preface any such discussion with a classroom forum to agree upon rules for discussion of sensitive issues. This will allow the students to take ownership of the rules and to ensure that the class takes sensitivity extremely seriously.  Respect is of the highest priority, but in order for a discussion to be beneficial the students must agree to keep an open mind.  Immigration is an issue that many students’ parents will have strong opinions on, and their children will follow suit with equally strong but perhaps less well-informed opinions.

Ideally I would like to structure the lessons in a variety of ways.  Students would have the opportunity to complete individual work and research, to cooperate in pairs, to explore multiple opinions in small groups, and finally to discuss as a large class group.  My ultimate goal would be for students to hear opinions that were different from their own, and to research the larger issues surrounding migrant working families and immigration in the United States.

I think The House on Mango Street would be an excellent literary companion to any such discussion.  Cisneros’s main character, Esperanza, characterizes her own life in a relatable personal narrative that interacts with her immigrant background in a subtle but compelling way.  Students would be able to empathize with Esperanza’s experiences as a young adult, and would hopefully be more willing to understand her experiences as someone who was not born in the United States. 


Perhaps the most important thing I can do as an instructor in a lesson of this type is keep my own personal bias as far removed as possible. Students are impressionable, and they have surely developed some of their own opinions based on the viewpoints of people they respect.  While I do want to provide them with useful information, I hope to train them to form belief systems on their own.  Adolescents are constantly interacting with the world in new ways, my job is to provide them with helpful information and resources to form an identity and an opinion that they have a sturdy foundation for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment